All the cheesy deliciousness of the full carb version sandwich.
One meal I really enjoyed before Trim Healthy Mama and keto was Sausage Sandwich which is a creamy, cheesy sausage meat filling on sub roll.
The picture I have here is not a very good one so I will try to get another next time I make this and upload it.
I used turkey sausage this time but you can use any kind of bulk sausage you like. I’ve done it with both pork and turkey.
Start by browning the sausage.
I cook my veggies in a separate pan because of picky eaters. So I just used 1/2 and onion, about 1/3 green bell pepper, and about 4 ounces of mushrooms, all diced. I cook them with a little bit of coconut oil.
Unfortunately, I forgot to get pictures after this point. But when the sausage is browned, add the cream cheese and spices. I add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to season the meat up for those picky eaters. Also add in the Parmesan cheese.
I decided to use THM 15 minute focaccia bread in my largest glass baking dish. Next time I’ll make it in a cookie sheet, making it thinner.
Spread the meat mixture on top of the bread. Then top with cheese; I used mild cheddar this time but have used colby jack or mozzarella cheeses before enjoyably.
Put in the oven and melt the cheese. I prefer this as an open-face sandwich but you could just put the sausage filling on half of the bread and put the other half of the bread on top.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped Or some onion powder
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced or some garlic powder
- 8 oz. package cream cheese (neufchatel works great)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 batch of low carb bread (I used THM 15 minute focaccia bread)
- 6 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Brown the sausage and drain the fat.
- Either saute the onions, peppers, and mushrooms in with the sausage or in a separate pan.
- If not using the veggies or sauteing separately, add about 4 or 5 shakes of onion powder, about 2 or 3 shakes of garlic powder, and oregano to the meat and stir.
- Now add in the cream cheese and shredded Parmesan cheese, melt and stir until combined.
- Then place 1/2 of your bread on the foil lined baking sheet.If you prefer your crust crisper, just put it on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle half the shredded cheese across the bread.
- Spread the cheesy meat filling on top of the cheese across the bottom of the loaf.
- Place the rest of the cheese on top of the sausage mixture.
- Place the remaining half of the focaccia on top of the meat and cheese.
- If using foil, wrap the foil up over the sandwich.
- Place in the oven.
- Bake on 375º for about 15 minutes to melt the cheese.
I hope you enjoy this recipe makeover.
Until next time, God bless,