The best part of pizza is the cheesy toppings and are very low carb.
I love pizza! No seriously! Life without pizza is not an option, so every diet/lifestyle change I have been on, I have found a way to get the yumminess of pizza legally for that way of eat. Some of them were more of a stretch than others, like the time we used Corn Thins as the crust and spread on tomato paste and added toppings or the time we used chicken breast for the crust.
Well, I’ve been at this for so long that I don’t always have to have the crust. Sometimes I just want the toppings. I made this recipe the other day because it is too hot to use the oven to make pizza right now.
This meal is all about the toppings you like most. I used 1/2 pound of ground turkey, 1/2 pound of ground chicken, some turkey pepperoni, and some turkey bacon. (I use turkey products because Michael cannot have the beef or pork right now.)
I gave the ground meats a head start, then added the turkey bacon, broke it all up and combined well.
Then added the turkey pepperoni slices. Some times I cut them into quarters but I wanted to bite down into whole pieces this night.
Once it’s all browned up and the juices cook off, add in some tomato paste, water, baking soda, and oregano.
Stir to combine.
I like some green pepper and mushrooms on my pizza but my kids don’t prefer it. So I cook it separately. Cut the veggies how you like them; we like ours diced.
Then either add them in with the meats as you brown them or in a separate pan to saute. I like mine caramelized.
Add cheese to the top of the meats and let it melt.
It is ready to eat when the cheese is melted nicely.
It kind of looks like my lasagna. Oh, I’m looking forward to creating that one.
I serve it with the veggies on top and with a side salad.
If you miss the crust, you can serve it on a piece of low carb bread. I’ll adjust the recipe to incorporate that in a future post.
- 1/2 pound ground meat (I used turkey)
- 1/2 pound sausage (I used chicken sausage)
- several slices of turkey bacon (I guess you could use regular bacon)
- most of a 5 ounce package of pepperoni (I used turkey pepperoni)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- sprinkle of baking soda (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- dusting of oregano (about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon)
- veggies of your choosing
- 8 ounces cheese, shredded (I used colby jack)
- Brown the ground meats in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and break up the meats.
- When nearly cooked through add pepperoni.
- Either add veggies cut as desired to the meat or saute in another pan.
- When juices have nearly evaporated, add the tomato paste, water, baking soda, and oregano.
- Combine well. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Reduce heat to Medium Low, cover.
- Serve when cheese is nicely melted.
- (Add veggies if you cooked them separately.)
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
Until next time, God bless,