Here is another delicious way to get in those veggies. Use whatever veggies you prefer or have on hand.
As I mentioned last week, I’ve been on a quest to get more veggies into my meals. I don’t really love veggies yet but I’m making every effort to eat them anyway and eat them in a yummy way.
Today I’m sharing a veggie quesadilla. Now I know that quesadillas mean cheese. I love cheese but I have loved it a bit too much. I’m working on lessening it in my diet. But I have to say that this quesadilla is still delicious!
Today I used onion, mushroom, and zucchini for my veggies. You can use whatever you like. I am also trying to keep cruciferous veggies limited because cabbage seems to cause me to stall, so I’m not indulging in them as freely as I have in the past.
So, I start by slicing my zucchini nice and thin. I use a mandolin for this job; it’s easy and I can do the job quickly.
Sprinkle with a bit of oregano or your favorite herb.
Meanwhile, I prep my tortillas. I prefer to use a Joseph’s pita and separate it into two very thin circles by cutting around the edge by snipping a hole in the edge, sliding my kitchen scissors into the cup, and cut around the circle. But my store was out of them and the lavash, so I resorted to Low Carb Mission whole wheat tortillas. I got the small ones that are 3g net carbs each so that I could use 2 of them.
Spread half a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheddar Cheese or homemade greek cream cheese on each tortilla.
We are trying to lose some weight, so we are being aware of how much fat we us, so we simply sprayed the pan with a little coconut oil spray and then put one of the tortillas on the pan.
I wasn’t sure how much protein was here, and I was hungry, so I added a serving of ham. But you could just heap on more veggies and have a protein drink with it, if you are on Trim Healthy Mama where all our meals are anchored with protein.
- Veggies of your choosing (I used onion, mushroom, and zucchini.)
- Laughing Cow cheddar cheese or greek cream cheese
- about 1/2 ounce shredded part skim mozzarella
- Joseph's pita, cut into 2 rounds or two small low carb tortillas
- extra protein (I chose a serving of ham lunch meat)
- salt, pepper, and sprinkling of oregano
- Sauté veggies with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Spread half a wedge of laughing cow cheddar (or light swiss) cheese on each tortilla
- Spray pan with oil and heat.
- Add tortilla, cheese side up, then top with veggies and optional lunch meat.
- Top with other tortilla, cheese side down.
- Cover and cook, flip when browned on bottom.
Until next time, God bless,