An easy to make confection with just a few simple ingredients. Oh! It’s chocolate too.
My daughter Tiffany’s Christmas book has been published! It is a murder mystery surrounded by the fun and festivities of the Christmas holiday and a budding romance. Get it on Amazon
I first remember making this when I was about 12 years old. The Ladies’ Auxiliary at the church we were going to at the time was making peanut brittle and peanut butter balls. Peanut butter balls was the obvious place for a young person to help. I watched as one of the ladies mixed up a batch. It was so simple that I memorized it.
We didn’t start making them at home right away but it has become a mainstay over the years. At one point, Mom made several batches each Christmas season. We don’t go to my parents’ as much as we used to between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Consequently, Mom doesn’t need to make as many and my family has requested we have some at home.
Well, let’s get to it.
Combine 1# of peanut butter (I only made a half batch today though)
1# powdered sugar
Melted a stick of butter
Please be sure to do this in a large bowl, so that you have room to stir.
When combined, take a nice size ball and roll it into a rope or snake shape.
Pinch off a bit and roll into a ball.
Place on either wax paper or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Put them in the freezer to harden so that it is easier to coat them in chocolate.
Combine one bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the upper pan of a double boiler along with about 1/3 of a block of paraffin wax with about an inch or so of water in the bottom pan.
The wax is important so that the chocolate doesn’t come off on your hands.
Use a toothpick and dip each ball into the chocolate and then place back on the parchment paper.
When they are all coated, put them back in either the refrigerator or freezer to harden. Mom always stores them in the freezer.
And I’m storing them in the freezer in an old ice cream container.
- 1# peanut butter
- 1# powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3-2/3 of a block of paraffin wax
- Combine peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter in a bowl.
- Roll into about 1-inch balls and place on wax paper or parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Put in freezer to harden up a bit.
- Combine chocolate chips and wax in the upper pan of a double boiler. (You could also place a glass bowl on top of a pot with about 1-2" boiling water.) Put 1-2" water in the bottom pan and bring to a boil.
- Combine chocolate and wax.
- Remove balls from the freezer. Use a toothpick to dip them into the chocolate and replace onto the cookie sheet.
- Put them back in the freezer to harden the chocolate. Eat or store. 🙂
Until next time, God bless,
One thought on “Peanut Butter Balls”
We tried this yesterday with my kids and they love it so much! Thanks a lot for sharing!