This is a combination of chicken, ham and cheese and is really nice served with broccoli.
Many years ago I found this recipe for a weight watchers version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. I really loved it but did not like the work of pounding the breasts thin, breading them, and then rolling them up with ham, broccoli, and cheese. It took too much time, so even thought we enjoyed it, I did not make very often.
I thought it would be great to find a casserole that tasted as good. The problem is that the breading was crucial to my liking it and none of them had enough of that taste. Now enter the keto diet and I can’t have the breading anyway, so I revisited some of the recipes I had.
This one is one I have modified and fixed several times and enjoyed it. It calls for three cups of cooked chicken and two cups of cubed cooked ham for a total of five cups of meat. I usually fix this after having made a large ham and thus having ham leftover, so I frequently increase the amount of ham I use and decrease the chicken by that amount.
Start by heating 3/4 cups of heavy cream and 3/4 cup water in a sauce pan over medium heat. Sprinkle it with 1/2 teaspoon of glucomannan and bring to a low simmer. You can also sprinkle in about an 1/8 teaspoon of onion powder into it as well. Let it thicken a bit.
Use whatever keto bread you have available and pulse it in a mini food processor, into bread crumbs or you can grind up pork rinds. You want a half cup of crumbs. Add a tablespoon of melted butter and 1/2 cup grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese. Combine and sprinkle over the top. (I did not combine them but layered them on . . . wish I’d have combined it before sprinkling)
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed ham
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon glucomannan
- 1/2 cup keto bread crumbs or ground pork rinds
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Parmesan cheese
- Heat cream, water, onion powder and sprinkle glucomannan over it and combine well. Cook over low heat until it thickens.
- Combine chicken, 1 cup of the cheese, and ham in a casserole dish.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese to the sauce and melt in completely.
- Pour thickened sauce over meats and cheese.
- Combine bread crumbs or ground pork rinds with the melted butter and grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350º for about 30 minutes, until all the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Until next time, God bless,
Michele ºÜºBe the first to like this page . . . click the heart.