This bread is compatible with the THM way of eating and is an E fuel. We make this yummy bread is using mostly whole wheat flour and it sits for anywhere from 7-24 hours.
We got this recipe from Christine of the Frugal Fit Mom youtube channel. You can check it out and watch how she makes it. Just be sure to use the whole wheat option and let it sit for at least 7 hours.
We make a double batch because our dutch oven is larger than the one Christine uses. Ours is a 6 quart dutch oven.
Start with dissolving the yeast in the warm water.
You place the dutch oven in the oven while it preheats to 450º. Remove the heated pot with hot pads, spray the inside with oil, add the dough, replace the lid, and put it back in the oven.
Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.
We cut our huge loaf in half and then slice each half.
- 3 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups white all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat)
- 2 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine adding only as much of the whole wheat flour as is needed to have a loose/wet dough.
- Cover and let rise 7-24 hours on the counter.
- Preheat oven to 450º with pot in it.
- Spray pot with oil.
- Add dough. Put on lid and put in oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this bread as much as we do.
Until next time, God bless,