This is a wonderfully yummy dessert that I like to make for dinner guests. I seldom make it for just us because it is a little more involved than other desserts. And generally I leave the dessert making to the kids.
This dessert is similar to the Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake that you get in the fine dining area of the Carnival Cruise ships. There it is made in individual ramekins and this is made in and 8×8 pan. I have had success doubling it and making it in a 9 x 13 pan, as well.
This goes together rather quickly if you prep the different parts first.
Preheat the oven to 350º with the rack in the middle of the oven. Spray an 8×8 pan with oil spray.
Whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup dark cocoa.
Whisk flour, remaining sugar, remaining dark cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
Whisk together milk, vanilla, egg yolk, and melted butter until smooth.
Boil a cup of water. Combine those dry ingredients and wet ingredients, just until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spread into the greased pan, getting completely into the corners.
Sprinkle the 2nd layer (sugar and cocoa) on top. Do NOT stir.
Pour boiling water evenly over the top. Do NOT stir.
Put in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the cakey part comes out with a few crumbs.
Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
Scoop and serve with a scoop of ice cream.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup boiling water
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350º with rack in middle of the oven.
- Spray 8x8 pan with oil.
- Whisk 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup cocoa in small bowl.
- Whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt in larger bowl.
- Whisk milk, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir milk mixture into flour mixture, just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into 8x8 pan.
- Sprinkle the cocoa sugar mixture over batter.
- Pour boiling water evenly on top of cocoa sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs when inserted into the cakey part.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes
- Scoop warm cake on serving dish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or topped with whipped cream.
Until next time, God bless,