We have really missed this meal since going keto, low carb, and THM but last night I Trim Healthy Mama-fied it. I made it as an “s” meal, which is a healthy fats, low carb meal, because I wanted me some cheese. If you are not on a low carb or low fat diet, you can find the original recipe here.
Here are the changes I made:
- used Dreamfields pasta
- eliminated the tortilla chips but did have pork rinds on the table for any that wanted them
- added some finely chopped mushrooms to the meat to boost the health benefits
- Michael and I used the FP 1000 Island dressing instead of catalina or ranch
Start by boiling water for your pasta.
When the pasta is done, drain and rinse with cool water. Then combine with the lettuce and meat.
Sometimes we keep the cheese cubes out for each to include themselves as sometimes they sink to the bottom of the bowl and they are not evenly distributed through the salad. The kids don’t prefer the tomatoes either.
- 1 box Dreamfields rotini, cooked, drained, and rinsed
- 1/2-1 cup diced green pepper
- head of lettuce, broken into bite-size pieces
- 8 oz. cheese, shredded (We've used cheddar, colby-jack, and pepper jack cheeses.)
- 1 pound ground meat
- 8 ounces of chopped mushrooms (for added health benefits)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, and chili powder)
- other items as desired: tomato, onion or green pepper, avocado, et cetera
- dressing of your choosing
- Brown the ground meat.
- Add chopped mushrooms.
- Add seasonings of choice.
- Combine all ingredients and serve with dressing of choice.
Hope you like it as much as we did last night.