So at this point I guess I’ll admit that when there is a meal scheduled that we don’t feel we have the energy to make or time to make, we switch it up. And a lot of those times we end up with a pasta dish of some sort. We love pasta.
Yesterday I started painting late in the afternoon and didn’t get it finished until after five. At that point I was too hungry to wait to cook the spicy sausage and butternut squash dish, so we went for “hamburger helper” which is what we call pasta dishes.
So like other pasta dishes, we diced some onion, mushroom, and bell pepper and cooked them in an oil-sprayed frying pan and added water to keep them from sticking.
Meanwhile, we cook up the ground meat; we use cheap ground turkey. Brown it and then rinse it.
And also boil the pasta. This time we used the brown rice macaroni noodles. I really love these! Be sure to measure out the proper serving amounts. We actually use a scale and weigh in grams to get every gram we have coming to us.
When the macaroni is done, drain it and add it to the meat and cooked veggies,
- ground meat
- ~ 1/2 onion, diced
- ~ 1/4 bell pepper, diced
- ~ 2-4 mushrooms, diced
- brown rice macaroni (248 grams which is about half the bag)
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkling of oregano
- spray oil
- Boil pasta and drain.
- Brown meat and rinse with very hot water.
- Spray skillet with a little oil (we use olive oil spray) and cook diced veggies until desired doneness. 🙂 Add a few splashes of water as needed to keep them from sticking to the pan as they cook.
- Add rinsed meat and seasonings of choice.
- Add drained macaroni and tomato sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Serves 4
This is an easy and tasty THM-E meal. I hope it helps you include a few more healthy carbs in your menu.
Until next time,