This is another of the recipes I got from Octomom on the Practical Homeschooling board of AOL years ago. She had eight children and made a list of about 9 or so recipes that she rotated between for breakfast for her family. She was kind enough to share them with the board.
I’ve seen a few variations of this recipe, including one that used wheat berries and a mill but they are all pretty similar.
Start by melting a stick of butter.
Combine the dry ingredients . . . 1 cup each whole wheat flour, white flour, and sugar with 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
Next combine 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Add it and the melted butter to the dry ingredients and combine.
Spread into a lightly greased 9×13 pan.
Bake in 350º oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove when a cake tester comes out clean. You don’t want it to be dry.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter and pour over the top of the baked cake and spread it around evenly.
Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the top. I used about 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- 2 cups flour (I use 1 cup all purpose and 1 cup whole wheat)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Sugar and cinnamon (I used 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Lightly grease 13x9 pan
- Melt stick of butter
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vanilla extract to milk
- Add vanilla extract, milk, and melted butter to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Spread evenly in greased 9x13 pan
- Bake 350º for 20-25 minutes
- Melt additional 2 tablespoons butter and spread evenly over baked cake.
- Sprinkle combined cinnamon sugar over top of butter on the baked cake.
- Cut and serve.
Until next time, God bless,