Taco Mac Salad is one of our favorite salads, if not meals. I have remade this as a healthy fats meal before using dreamfields pasta. But since this is a favorite meal, I looked for a way to make this without using that pasta.
The next solution I had was to use brown rice pasta or brown rice & quinoa pasta. You could use any alternative pasta like lentil, black bean, chickpea, or other such pasta. This night we used brown rice pasta from WinCo.
I took about a pounds worth of thawed boneless skinless chicken bread and put it in the food processor. I then ground it up, cooked it in a fry pan, and seasoned it with taco seasoning.
Meanwhile, I boiled the pasta and chopped up some vegetables. It’s important to measure the pasta so as not to overdo the carbs.
It is probably best to only 40g weight instead of 52-68g worth of pasta to give some space for some beans.
Tear the lettuce and chop the green pepper. I serve the diced tomatoes separately because the kids don’t like them. Drain, rinse, and heat up a can of black beans (it can be added to the meat).
Combine the drained, cooked pasta, beans, salad, and a cheese stick or two (sliced) in a salad bowl.
Serve with low fat/low carb dressing, low fat/fat free sour cream or yogurt and any other veggies you desire. I do choose to use some fat free cheddar cheese as well.
If you used a low enough carb pasta, you can probably add a tostada to it.
I added some nutritional yeast.
I hope you like it as much as we do.
- brown rice pasta (or other alternative pasta, such as brown rice & quinoa, black bean, chickpea, lentil, etc)
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- green pepper
- low fat mozzarella cheese stick
- fat free yogurt or fat free/low fat sour cream
- taco seasoning (chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper)
- black beans, drained and rinsed
- tostada (corn, lime treated) optional
- process chicken breast into ground chicken in a food processor
- cook chicken and add taco seasoning
- boil pasta
- chop veggies
- add beans to meat
- add meat, beans, and drained pasta to the chopped veggies
- serve with toppings desired
Until next time, God bless,