Well, I guess I have teased you with the bread recipe for long enough and that it is now time for me to share this it with you!
For this, oh so difficult recipe, you need 3 cups of warm water, 1 tablespoon yeast, 1 tablespoon salt, and 6 1/2 cups all purpose flour. Yes, all four exotic ingredients.
The first time I made it I used a regular dry measuring cup to measure my warm water but ended up using my digital scales to measure the flour.
And stir until there are no clumps of flour. This should not take very long at all. The entire process should take about 5 minutes.
Next you cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours. Then place it in the refrigerator until you want to have bread.
I forgot to get a picture of the process of baking the bread. :\
You take a grapefruit size piece of dough and quickly shape it by pulling the dough under the ball, rotate a quarter turn and repeat until you have a nice smooth top. Place the dough ball onto the pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal, pan with parchment paper, or pan with silicone mat. Let it rest and rise for 40 minutes or up to 90 minutes or so.
Place a baking stone in the middle of the oven with a broiler pan beneath it. PREHEAT the oven to 450º for 20-30 minutes before ready to bake.
When the rest time has elapsed, dust the top of the bread with flour and slash the top of the dough. Place the bread onto the baking stone and pour 1 cup of hot water into the broiler pan. Quickly close the oven to capture the steam inside. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- 3 cups (680 grams) lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) granulated yeast
- 1 tablespoon (17-25 grams) kosher salt (I used table sea salt)
- 6 1/2 cups (910 grams) all-purpose flour
- couple tablespoons cornmeal to slide the dough off the peel easily
- Put the water into the large bowl.
- Add yeast and salt.
- Add flour and combine. DO NOT OVERWORK the dough. Do not knead it either.
- Cover with plastic wrap, loosely.
- Rest on the counter for 2 hours and then refrigerate.
- Baking Day:
- Sprinkle some cornmeal on pizza peel.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of flour on top of dough and grab a handful of dough about the size of a grapefruit and cut it off with scissors.
- "Cloak" it by pulling the side down under, rotating the dough and pulling the side underneath until the top is smooth - about 20 seconds or so.
- Set the dough, smooth side up, onto the cornmeal and let it rest/rise for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450º for 20-30 minutes with a baking stone in the middle of the oven and a broiler pan beneath it.
- Sprinkle flour atop the dough and make a couple of slash marks into the dough about 1/2 inch deep to allow the bread to rise more.
- Place on the baking stone and pour one cup hot water into the broiler pan. Quickly close the oven door to trap in the steam.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 1-2 hours.
I’ll try to add more pictures when I find them, as I thought I took pictures of the process of preparing to bake the bread.
Until next time, God bless,