This is not the best picture and it was taken rather hurriedly right before I bit into this wonderful sandwich dinner. We had made this for dinner one night when Brian and Lauren were out. (Yes, this is another recipe that has received the stamp of approval from Lauren. ) I almost forgot to take a picture of it before I bit into it.
Because of my picky eaters, not just Lauren, I saute the onions and mushrooms separately rather than in with the sausage. This time I actually bought those football looking rolls from Walmart Supercenter rather than the large loaves of Italian bread. Consequently, I put the cooked veggies on Mike and my individual sandwiches before they went into the oven, rather than when I put my piece on my plate.
I do make this with turkey sausage if I can get away with one pound of meat but when there are 6 of us, we need a little more than that so I made this one with regular bulk pork sausage for the 5 of us and then did some turkey sausage in another pan for Mike.
Once the sausage is browned, drain off the fat; I like to do as my mother taught me and use a turkey baster for this job. Next I add in the cream cheese and melt it down and mix it into the sausage. Then add in the spices. Now, since my picky eaters (all 4 of them) don’t like onions, I add onion powder with the spices and Parmesan cheese. Sometimes I add fresh garlic but more times than not, I use garlic powder. Oh and I frequently forget the green pepper all together, but it is better with it.
I know it goes against the grain to remove some of the yummy soft insides of the bread but if you don’t it will be too thick to get into your mouth without losing the filling. I take the bits of bread that I take out of the bread loaf, wrap them in foil, and place them in the oven with the sandwich so they heat up; the kids have always enjoyed eating them.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. package cream cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound loaf unsliced Italian bread
- 6 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Brown the sausage and drain the fat.
- Either saute the onions, peppers, and mushrooms in with the sausage or in a separate pan.
- If not using the veggies or sauteing separately, add about 4 or 5 shakes of onion powder, about 2 or 3 shakes of garlic powder, and oregano to the meat and stir.
- Now add in the cream cheese and shredded Parmesan cheese, melt and stir until combined.
- Slice the loaf in half, horizontally. Open and remove some of the bread leaving about 3/4 inch shell.
- If you want your bread soft, place a piece of aluminum foil, big enough to wrap the entire loaf in, on a cookie sheet. Then place the bottom of your bread loaf on the foil.If you prefer your crust crisper, just put it on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle half the shredded cheese across the bottom.
- Spread the cheesy meat filling on top of the cheese across the bottom of the loaf.
- Place the rest of the cheese on top of the sausage mixture. I like to keep this layer of cheese more toward the center of the loaf so that it lays in the hollowed out portion of the bread top.
- Replace the top half of the loaf on top of the sandwich.
- If using foil, wrap the foil up over the sandwich.
- Place in the oven.
- Bake on 375º for about 15 minutes to melt the cheese.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Until next time, God bless,