Moist roasted turkey, stuffed or unstuffed, is easy to make in an oven roasting bag.
A roasted turkey is really quite simple to make. When you buy a turkey buy a turkey roasting bag as well, then no basting is required. However, my mother told me just this past Thanksgiving that my grandmother slow roasted hers, so I may try that next time.
I basically follow the directions on box. If your turkey is frozen and you have a cold refrigerator, as I do, it takes about three or four days to thaw. I choose to thaw in a sink of cold water for a day. Once thawed, place one tablespoon of flour into the bag and shake it around. Then dab the moisture off the turkey with a paper towel and rub with butter. Put the turkey into the bag.
Be sure to tuck the bag into the roasting pan, so that it doesn’t touch the oven sides, as it will make a very bad smell, if it does. Since I don’t have a roasting pan, I buy the cheap foil ones and stabilize it by sitting it on a rimmed cookie sheet.
This one took about two and a half hours. Usually I stuff it with a box or two of stovetop stuffing but I did not today. When you stuff it, it takes longer. This looks burnt but it is not. Paprika tends to turn the birds black when roasted.
It is done when the breast temperature is 165º. The one I made for Thanksgiving was about twenty-one pounds and did not come with a pop-up timer. That was the first time I had to use the thermometer to check for doneness and it was the moistest turkey ever. I think the pop-up timer makes it a bit more done and thus a bit drier. However, there is a lot of juice in the bag, so the meat can easily moistened.
- Oven Bag
- Seasonings of your choice: onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Place the flour into the oven bag and shake it around.
- Dab the moisture off the thawed turkey with a paper towel.
- Butter turkey and place into the oven bag.
- Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Close bag and cut slits, as directed.
- Put in the roasting pan on a cookie sheet, as needed.
- Bake as directed by the oven bag directions. 🙂 Mine was baked at 350º for about 2.5 hours.
Until next time, God bless,