Craving the taste of pizza but shouldn’t have all that bread? Then this is your answer
Years ago I did the HcG diet and the Atkins diet. Both are low carb diets; well, the HcG diet is low carb on one of its phases. Anyway, I found this wonderful recipe back then. On low carb, you cannot have bread and that leaves pizza out of my diet, which just does not work for me long term. I love pizza! So this helps fill that void.
The original recipe calls for one pound of bulk Italian sausage. Well, today I didn’t have that but I had some Italian link sausages filled with peppers and mozzarella cheese. So, that is what I used.
I like my veggies well done. Consequently I start by dicing and sauteing those first. Then I add the meat, to brown. Sometimes I have to add a bit of coconut oil to keep it from sticking to my pan (since my cast iron skillets are a bit abused )
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 4-8 ounces fresh mushrooms, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (or basil or Italian seasoning)
- 3 1/2 ounces pepperoni, chopped (I used turkey pepperoni)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (1 ounce)
- 8 ounces cheese (I used mild cheddar)
- Saute veggies
- Add sausage and brown.
- Combine cream, eggs, tomato sauce, and seasonings
- Add chopped pepperoni and cheese to pan
- Pour egg mixture over veggies, meat, and cheese
- Bake at 350º for 45-55 minutes
Until next time, God bless,