I made this pasta salad last week and we devoured it. I like to make salads when it is blooming hot outside so that it doesn’t get quite so hot inside.
This salad is a THM E(nergetic) salad because I used pasta made from quinoa and brown rice that I get at Aldi. A serving is only 1/4 cup of the dry pasta so I added some lettuce to it as well. I had intended to make a different salad but this one turned out good.
So, here’s what I did:
Bring water to a boil and then add the pasta and cook as directed, drain, and rinse with cold water.
I also added about 1/3-1/2 cup of the fuel pull 1000 Island dressing because it is very low fat (because I used even less that the recipe calls for so I don’t have to think about how much I’m using) and it needs some kind of flavoring. You could use any low fat healthy dressing but even my daughter liked it and she doesn’t care for dressings.
I added some grape tomatoes and some fat free cheddar cheese to my serving. (I view the fat free cheese as a personal choice item and try not to eat too much of it but I love cheese so this is helpful to me.)
- 8 ounces dry penne quinoa and brown rice pasta, cooked, drained, and rinsed with cold water
- 1 bunch of broccoli, steamed, and rinsed in cold water
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 5 cups of chopped red leaf lettuce or leafy greens of choice
- about 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- garnish amount of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1# chicken breast
- 1/3-1/2 cup low fat dressing (fuel pull creamy 1000 island)
- Cook pasta as directed on package
- Steam broccoli
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, cook, and slice (I slice the meat first, season and then cook when I'm in a hurry and don't have some already cooked.)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and serve.
- Serves 4
I hope you enjoy this pasta salad.
Until next time,