Although this dish is not pretty by any means, it is very good. I cooked the broccoli in the instant pot with the raw rice and frozen chicken breast and all the other ingredients because we like our vegetables really well done. Well, the broccoli totally disintegrated. I mean, no lumps at all, which was good for Sean but not good if you actually want to chew broccoli. In which case, I recommend steaming the broccoli separately and mixing it into the finished dish.
One other ‘mistake’ I made was with the amount of chicken for the amount of rice, so I’m adjusting it here. This is basically a dump and go recipe that could be done in the crock pot, I would think.
So here goes: Place two pounds of frozen chicken breast in the instant pot. Then add rice, broth or water, broccoli, mushrooms, almond milk, and spices. Place the lid on the pot, close the vent, and press pressure cooker, high, for 25 minutes with keep it warm for an additional 10 minutes.
We had one bunch of broccoli and knew it wouldn’t be enough, so added a bag of broccoli florets. Did you know that some Dollar Tree stores carry a pound of frozen broccoli florets for only a dollar? That’s awesome because it is more for less at most other stores; I think it is because the bags I can find are “steamable”.
When it is done, break up the chicken breasts. I use a potato masher or a meat “chopper” similar to the Mix and Chop by Pampered Chef.
- about 2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups water or broth (I used 3 tablespoons of homemade THM Bouillon)
- about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and parsley
- dash of each black pepper and paprika
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon glucomannan powder
- Put all ingredients (except broccoli if you so desire) in the instant pot, vent closed. High manual pressure for 25 minutes then keep warm for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure, removed lid, and break up the meat.
- I believe you could do the same thing in the crock pot 6-8 hours on low.
FYI: It really does look a bit more green in person. I modified this THM Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe.
I hope you like this. We’ll make it again and even put the broccoli in it (but will probably steam some on the side too).
Oh, by the way, we eat this as an E meal on the THM program. (Watch the amount of rice.) Best to add a salad to eat with it, keeping the fats on the salad in E limits, as there are added fats in the dish itself.
Until next time, God bless,