We have finally had egg rolls again and I was able to get pictures of the finished product so I can now share this recipe. Whoo hoo! As I mentioned in First Week Wrap-up, Lauren went outside her comfort zone and tried these, after a bit of prodding . . . and she liked them! So these receive the Approved By Picky Eaters Award.
The key to make these easy and quick to fry is steaming (or microwaving) the filling before making the rolls. Thus, the rolls can be quickly “fried” in a small amount of oil and only long enough to brown the outside.
Combine the shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, a few shakes of salt and a few twists of the pepper mill, to taste. Put about 2-4 tablespoons of water in the bowl or pan and microwave or stem for a few minutes until the veggies are softened. Add scrambled egg and about 3 ounces of cooked meat and mix well.
I have made this with both chicken and ground turkey. The last time I made it, I served it with Korean “Beef,” so I included some of the meat in the egg rolls. The first time I made them we did not add any eggs or meat and we all thought they needed something more. So if you wanted to make these vegetarian you could add more veggies, mushroom and onions would probably be good but we are protein people so egg and meat are our additions of choice.
These are the egg roll wraps. In my Walmart, they are in the refrigerated produce section. My refrigerator keeps things rather cold, so these stay fresh for a good long time on my bottom shelf (closest to the freezer). Just follow the directions on the back of the package to see how to roll.
Removed to plate with paper towels to soak any excess oil.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded about 1/2 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- about 2-4 Tablespoons water
- Egg Roll Wraps
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 3-4 ounces meat, chopped
- oil for frying, we use peanut or coconut
- Shred cabbage and carrot.
- Place in either pan or microwave safe bowl.
- Add salt and pepper as desired. (I use about 3-4 shakes of my salt shaker and about 2-3 twists of my pepper mill.)
- Add the 2-4 Tbsp water and cook about 3-5 minutes in microwave or about 5-10 minutes on stove. You want the veggies to be as done as you like them, which for us means no crunch left in them.
- When veggies are cooked to desired consistency, pour off any remaining water and add scrambled eggs and cooked meat. Mix to combine.
- Place the Egg Roll Wraps on the table, put about 1/3 cup of filling off center near the bottom point of the wrapper and roll as directed on back of package.
- Place in hot oil with the last part of wrapper to be folded, DOWN in oil to seal it shut.
- Watch carefully as they will brown quickly on each side, if your oil is hot enough. You don't want to burn the wrapper. Turn egg rolls to brown on all sides. Remove to paper towel lined dish. Serve hot.
- This makes about 8 egg rolls.
I do like to make extra sauce of whatever dish I am serving these with to dip them in.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.
Until next time, God bless,
Michele ºÜºBe the first to like this page . . . click the heart.