This one is a really easy ‘dump’ recipe. I’m planning to dump all the ingredients into a freezer bag one day, so that on Sunday morning all I have to do is empty the baggie into the crockpot and turn it on. Wow! That will make Sunday dinner even more simple.
First you take about one pound of chicken breast (I use frozen) and put it in the crock pot; mine is a six quart crock pot. Rinse and drain a can of black beans and add to the crock pot.
Then add 16oz. salsa. I used these salsa style tomatoes. With regular salsa I have to puree it in order to get my picky eaters to eat it. But this can of tomatoes has the right size pieces that do not need to be pureed.
Next combine the spices and sprinkle them on top of the salsa and chicken and give it a stir.
The original recipe calls for corn in here too but since Sean doesn’t like corn and Tiffany doesn’t always prefer it, I leave it out and serve it as an optional addition.
Cook on low for about 4-6 hours. Unfortunately I was gone longer than that and wish I had put some extra salsa or even a bit of water in the pot too, to keep it moister but it turned out fine. Use two forks to shred the chicken and then mix it all together.
To serve, first some rice, then some chicken.
Add corn, shredded cheese, chips, and sour cream, as desired.
I hope you’ll give this one a try. It is really quite yummy. Oh, but don’t leave out the chips, it is just missing something without them.
- 1-1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
- 16 ounce jar of salsa or the can of salsa style tomatoes
- 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound corn (I cook mine separately for picky eaters)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic (i used garlic powder instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- cooked rice
- shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choosing)
- Tortilla chips
- sour cream, optional
- Add chicken, beans, and seasonings to the crock pot along with 1/4 cup of water. (You can add the corn or heat it up later, like I do, for picky eaters.) Stir things up a bit. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Near the end of the cooking time, prepare rice as directed.
- Before serving, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Build bowls by placing some rice on the bottom, add some of the chicken mixture, and top with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired, or avocado even.
- Eat with tortilla chips.
Until next time, God bless,