A different kind of salad, good in the summer when corn and tomatoes are fresh. Nice not to have lettuce for a change.
I tried this one a few weeks ago for the first time. I love fresh corn! Thus this salad looked pretty good to me. It is super simple to make as well.
The key here is fresh corn. The first two times I made it with really good sweet corn. This time, unfortunately, it wasn’t as good because the corn wasn’t as good. Oh well.
It only takes a few simple ingredients: corn, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
First shuck the corn and cut the kernels off the cob. You can cook it first if you like. I recommend you cut a bit off and taste it to see how sweet it is. If it is bland, boil it in some water with some sweetener. I learned this the hard way!
Next cut the tomatoes. I like small bite-size pieces, so I do more than cut them in half, which is what the original recipe directed.
Cut up the mozzarella cheese and then add the rest of the ingredients. I usually cheat and just use a sprinkling of garlic powder instead of the minced garlic. I sometimes use lemon juice from the bottle I keep in the refrigerator for emergencies. (I have yet to make this with fresh basil though.)
This really is a nice refreshing salad and a nice change from the regular lettuce salads.
- 4 ears of corn, shucked, cleaned, and washed
- 1 10.5 oz package of grape tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 10 leaves of fresh basil, sliced thinly or use a sprinkling of dried
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob with a nice sharp knife.
- Place corn, cut tomatoes, and mozzarella pieces into serving bowl.
- Add the basil.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. (or if you are lazy like me, simply add them to the bowl but it would probably taste better combined in the jar first 😉 )
- Pour over ingredients in the bowl, toss and serve.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as Mike and I have. (Sean and Tiffany won’t even try it. )
Until next time, God bless,
Be the first to like this page . . . click the heart.