I got this recipe from a friend who got it from a magazine that titled it, Extreme Diet Soup, but the nutritional information declared it to have more than 300 calories per serving, so I don’t think of it as Extreme Diet Soup. But that aside, I was surprised that I actually liked this soup, in spite of the spinach shreds in it. I had never really liked cooked spinach and yet it was okay in this recipe.
I hesitate to share this recipe because I don’t have any good pictures of it but it still tastes good, no matter how it looks. So here goes:
Heat the oil and add the onion. After about 10 minutes add chicken.
After chicken is cooked through and onions are lightly browned, add carrot, garlic, jalapeno, and oregano. I also add the tomato at this time because I want my tomato cooked more thoroughly.
Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
When it comes to a boil, add the beans and spinach.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large white onions, thinly sliced (I dice mine)
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or oregano (I use 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 8 cups chicken broth, fat free
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 packed cups fresh baby spinach leaves (I thinly slice mine)
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, stirring occasionally for 5 more minute, until chicken is cooked through and onion lightly browned.
- Add carrot, garlic, jalapeno, and oregano; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and increase high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add beans, spinach, and tomato and bring back to a boil.
- Turn heat off. Add salt and pepper.
- Serve each serving with 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
I hope you’ll give this one a try. It really is very good and full of healthy ingredients.
Until next time, God bless,